Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Trailer Tales #1

The orientation to our new trailer was thorough: hook up, set up, operation, shut down, unhook, etc. However, they didn't discuss driving. Both AmazingBusinessMan and I have done trailering with our families, but it was when we were quite a bit younger and not responsible for the mechanical operation of the vehicle.

Driving home from the dealership was an exercise in discovery.

"How do those electric brakes work?".

We started out pretty jerky but had the braking down to a smooth exercise by the end of the third trip. I'm fairly certain of the proper operation, but I'm calling the dealer because I would like emotional verification that we are correctly using the trailer brake controller.

Then parking and unhitching the trailer in our driveway after 10:30 p.m. was "interesting." Our driveway angles oddly out from the circular cul de sac. Much manoeuvring was required. It is on a slant - more slant than I thought - which requires unrolling the hitch arm support to the tallest possible height.

We will be parking the trailer in a storage lot from now on when not in use. A level lot.

For those of you who wisely have chosen to not use recreational vehicles and don't know what I'm talking about, thank God and enjoy your hotels or tents.

1 comment:

  1. This brings back memories of trying to maneuver the tent trailer - hubby not me! I'm sure ou'll soon have it down to a science, though...and laugh at yourself for stressing out.

    ReplyDelete