Wednesday, November 01, 2006

24 Hour Rule

God bless coaches. They help our boys develop in ways we never could. They orchestrate practices with the skill of a maestro. They challenge our young men to be the best they can be and to encourage each other to excel.

They make rules to protect us all from rash words said in the heat of the moment. The 24-hour rule is very common in sport: If you have an issue with something, wait 24 hours. If you still feel it needs to be addressed, write down your concerns. Present them to the designated person for action.

It's sort of like counting to ten reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal slooooooooooow!

Now I didn't have an issue with our coaches. I thought there was an issue with the stats. But I waited, investigated, did the math and realized it's not a problem. I reined in my initial reaction, zipped my lip, checked the facts and voila! no problem exists. There was never an issue other than my not having a clear understanding of the process.

Think before you speak. Verify the facts.

How often does a non-existant problem get blown all out of proportion because I failed to verify the facts and shot my mouth off based on an initial reaction and incorrect conclusion?!!!

Lord, help me to be quiet. Help me to believe the best of others. Help me extend your grace to them. And may I be able to receive grace in my time of need. (Heb. 4:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment