Saturday, February 07, 2009

And Now, A Word From Our Sponsor

A magazine has indicated they would like to publish my article on Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site. It will be my first "paid" published article.

I don't expect this life as a writer is a way to get rich quick. No Harry Potter overnight sensation. I might have to write a novel for that to happen but my attention span is too short. However, I did just order the book "Quit Your Day Job." Seems a little tardy, since I've already done that, but one can always benefit from consulting a road map during the journey, yes?

Some might wonder that at 51, I'm a bit (ahem) mature for beginning a writing career. I wondered about that too. Until today when I read the bio of one, Betty Jane Hegerat, one of our WorDshop session leaders. In May 2008 she graduated from UBC's creative writing program, launched her second book and celebrated her 60th birthday. I love her perspective on it:

What did I have to say when I was 25 that anyone needed to read. Sometimes I think you need to earn your stories.


After all I have been writing since I was 12. I write because I have to. Like Ruth Bell Graham said, "It was either write or have ulcers. I chose to write."

Life is starting to settle back into the regular routine after A's injury. Sleeping late on a Saturday, scrambling to church on Sunday, dragging out of bed on Monday, nagging about homework. Nearly burning the pancakes as I get absorbed in writing this.

I'm paying closer attention to A. He doesn't mind. Yet. He lost 12 pounds during his hospitalization. His normal slender frame gives way now to bony bumps in places where muscle will need to be rebuilt. All in just one week. Today it's Norwegian Pancakes (made with cream and sugar) and a huge smoothie (made with strawberries, bananas and orange juice. Tonight it's roast beef and potatoes.

Hungry yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment