Sunday, February 22, 2009

Writer's Block

So, okay, I'm not really blocked. I can write but don't feel particularly inspired. When I first began blogging, it was an easy place to write about nothing and everything, to explore humorous anecdotes or serious contemplations and to connect with you. It whet my appetite for more and I began to take courses at the encouragement of a friend.

The first year, I wrote things that amazed even me but the second year has been more challenging. I've stepped out of my comfort zone and entered the realm of exploring other genres. Creative non-fiction and Personal Essay. Even my poetry is in an awkward, pubescent stage.

Seems very few people are active on the online poetry critique forum, so I don’t go there as often. I’m also busier than I would like to be- serving on the board of a writers' group, organizing a workshop and attending to family matters- so inspiration is often the last thing to get attention.

As I wrote in a recent email to an established writer, I’m in that awkward place of trying to learn, reading a great deal, knowing just enough to be discouraged and praying for God’s direction about where my writing should go from here. I refuse to let contest deadlines provide a false sense of urgency or lull me into thinking they are the primary measure of true success. I’m going deeper and getting more serious in my writing and that takes a lot more time and thought. It’s not as pleasing, but I feel compelled to do so.

I will be going to the Glen Eyrie writers conference in June with Angela Hunt and Nancy Rue. I’m looking forward to that. I also have surgery scheduled to repair what didn't heal properly from the last surgery (June 2008), so my spring will be full.

As I reflect, however, I realize that my business has prevented me getting out doors. I belong outdoors. When I have been in nature, my writing benefits. Perhaps a trip to the mountains is in order. Soon. Very soon.

In the meantime, I have a "How To" article to write. What shall my topic be?  "How to Alienate Your Teenager" or "How to Procrastinate"? It needs to be something that talks about why the topic is important to me and how it can enhance the life of the reader if they were to engage in the same thing. Okay, alienation and procrastination - nobody needs a "How To" lesson on that!


I've got it. Norwegian Pancakes. Now that is a life lesson worth learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment