Wednesday, August 01, 2018

Eyes Wide Open



As I’ve matured and been able to integrate prayer and worship into the everyday, rather than limit it only to specified times and places, I’m discovering more and more of God’s nature and creativity by observing this world, my surroundings and creation, with eyes wide open. I speak to God as I’d speak with a friend face to face, and I’m learning to listen (as is normal in a healthy dialogue between friends).

Engaging all the senses in worship, wonder, love and praise, I *touch* the garden and hug my husband; *hear* music, the birds sing or the wind blow; *smell* the aroma of fresh coffee, canola blooms, and the earth after rain; *taste* the bounty of harvest and the nuance or shock of exotic spices; *see* the storms rage, a newborn babe, the sunset over the mountains, or watch a tear trickle down... the list is Infinite.

When discussing this with a friend, she reminded me that the scriptures tell us to "pray without ceasing" (1 Thes. 5:17). "The deeper our relationship with Christ becomes," she said, "the less prayer becomes an event and more a lifestyle."

I still close my eyes and bow my head at specific times, such as before meals when giving thanks, or simply to avoid distraction. I’m constantly blessed and strengthened by reading the scriptures and meditating on the truth of who God is, but I’m more often praying and praising when my eyes are open: reminding myself to look for where God speaks through creation, recreation, chores, or you.

What helps you sense God?

No comments:

Post a Comment