Thursday, March 23, 2006

Keeping in step

We studied last night about keeping in step with the Spirit and all that entails.

I liken it to a treadmill. The speed and incline is set, the power is on and the tread begins to move. All I need to do, in order to gain the most benefit, is to keep in step with the pace of the treadmill. When I began, I started slowly and an easy pace. With the right music in my ears and a few times under my runners, I can handle a much brisker pace. My body benefits physically from the process. I'm not really working hard, my legs and feet are simply doing what they have been designed to do, but the treadmill sets the pace. If I don't follow the pace, or take my focus off or lose my balance or try to change directions, I fall and get bruised.

When I keep in step with the Spirit, he turns on the power, sets the speed and the incline and tells me to come along. With the right music in my ears, I can handle a brisker pace, a higher incline. My spirit benefits from the process. I'm not really working hard, my heart is just doing what it was designed to do, following the pace of the spirit. If I don't follow, or take my focus off him or lose my balance or try to change speed, incline or direction, I fall and get bruised.

"My yoke is easy, my burden is light." The purpose of yoking a young ox with an experienced ox was to let the larger, stronger animal bear the load and the younger to simply walk alongside and learn the job. Jesus' yoke is easy: I, the younger, weaker, let the stronger, experienced take the load. My role is simply to walk alongside and learn the job. Keep in step.

No comments:

Post a Comment