Sunday, November 16, 2008

I think I've found my purpose

I always wanted to write. I was never clear about the motive. Now that I have quit my day job and set aside time to write, I've been thinking about the nature of what I should write. What will my purpose be? I think I found it today. I would like to be a person and a writer who does what Isaiah and Titus record in the following quotes. I need to apply this at home, first with myself, then with my husband and son, then to everyone else I meet - in person or on the printed page. Yes and amen.


Isaiah 61

The Year of the LORD's Favor

1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,

2 to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,

3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.

They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.


The Apostle Paul offers a clear and simple list of things godly women--all of them--are meant to do, and it's found in Paul's instructions to a young pastor (Titus 2:3-5):

Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.


Before you go and get all feminist on me, understand that "to be subject" is equivalent to my husband being subject to God. You could see a parallel in his relationship to his employer. They work in a team environment, everyone has input, but when there's differences of opinion, the responsibility for final decisions has to lie with someone, and that's usually the boss. Sometimes he defers the decision to Brent. No one person is better or more important, but there is a line of authority for final decision making. There's much more to it, so if you'd like to discuss it further, email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment