Sunday, December 14, 2008

He Chose Cold

Saturday and Sunday are my son's ski days. We attend church on Saturday evening. We've always asked him to ensure church isn't sacrificed for skiing and we gratefully are in a place that has several options for service times. 

Yesterday, as you can see from my previous post, he did not ski. Today he trains with the ski club, even though it is minus 29 (before windchill). 

A mom can't help but worry. So here I am at 5:45 a.m., giving him a crash course on the emergency kit (in case the team van hits the ditch and they are stranded - unlikely, but possible) and a fast lesson on recognizing the signs of frost bite.

He's scrambling, looking for the facemask he took out of the laundry yesterday and can't locate today. A less-suitable substitute will have to do.

And I pray.

The Lord bless you and keep you
The Lord make his face to shine upon you
And be gracious unto you
The Lord lift up the light of his countenance upon you
And give you peace
And give you peace
And give you peace

"Not one of his bones shall be broken" - this pops into my head and I know it is a prophesy about Christ but I dare to come boldly before the throne of grace and ask it as a promise for my only son as well.

Are you a mom? Do you allow your child to go, properly prepared, to engage in age-appropriate activities that he loves? Even when your own heart tells you there are risks, can you trust God - knowing that he loves your child more than you and will not allow anything to happen that He cannot work into a pattern for good?

Yes, I allow my son to choose. It's the hardest thing I've ever done. 

It may also be where faith is most evident in my life.

1 comment:

  1. You are one awesome, committed mom, and I'm sure someday, he'll recognize that. :)

    ReplyDelete