Friday, April 03, 2009

Fading Lily


Yesterday I spent part of my afternoon with the mother of my best friend. She is currently bedridden and is relieved to be back in her own room at the extended care centre after a very lengthy hospital stay. I go to read to her. Sometimes I go with my friend and we take turns being the straight man for each other's humour and her mom gets a kick out of it.

It helps us all forget about the reality and lets us see the beauty in this present moment.

As we followed the storyline together in her current novel of choice, I read words that touched a deep wound in my soul. While she often listens with her head on the pillow and eyes closed, this day she was watching me intently.

As my eyes began to spill the overflow of a long overdue release, she gently asked in between her own gasps of pain, "Is there anything that you would like me to do for you?"

This is the body of Christ.

So beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment