Monday, May 18, 2009

A Brief Book Review: The Furious Longing of God


David C. Cook, 2009. 131 pages.

The back cover says "A love story for the broken hearted." Truly Brennan Manning is a voice for all disaffected Christians, for all ragamuffin seekers, for Pharisees run amuck in the mess of ritual and regulation.

The core of this book drew me in: I am my beloved's. It kept me reading all day and yet could keep me reading and absorbing and mediating for weeks and months to come. I regret that I did not buy the book so that I could underline and dog ear the pages.

God loves me just as I am, not as I should be.

This is the thought that draws me. His heart is full of longing to see my face turned to his, to hear my voice, to embrace me with complete acceptance.

Abba, I belong to you.

Can I believe this? Can I accept this?

I finished the book in one afternoon. I, who never read. I found something worth reading.

And I am in love with One who loves me with a furious longing.

Yes.

I believe.


UPDATE May 27: Have bought my own copy and organized a summer book discussion group to go deeper into the truths presented in each chapter. Am also halfway through Abba's Child and have Ragamuffin Gospel and Ruthless Trust on deck.


a more detailed review can be viewed here.

No comments:

Post a Comment