Monday, May 25, 2009

Building Brands

Today I got an invitation to blog at a particular website. It touted their site as one that would help you “build your brand.”

I think back to days watching rancher brand their cattle. It’s a pretty painful thing for the animal, done solely for the purpose of identifying ownership.

What kind of identifying marks to I carry that would tell others my ownership? Who do I belong to? Is that my personal brand? Does the way I live, act, walk, dress, speak, identify me as belonging to a country, a family, a Saviour?

The old gospel song said, “Now I belong to Jesus, Jesus belongs to me. Not for the years of time alone, but for eternity.”

As I make my life plan, my branding plan, or any plan, I think about what the strategic planning gurus say. We must begin with the end in mind. If the end is that there is no end, only eternity, should I not make my life plan accordingly?

What am I doing, saying, buying, disposing, writing? Would any of these actions matter 100 years from now? A thousand years from now?

In light of what is eternally valuable, how do I build my brand?

No comments:

Post a Comment