Thursday, June 04, 2009

When Expectations Are Needed

My emerging understanding of love is phrased in this quote from my facebook page:

"I believe the best way to love is to accept others without conditions, to give with no expectations."


Yesterday I was startled to see a headline screaming at me: "Love With Expectation." It was from the Mustard Seed, a non-profit, Christian, humanitarian organization that responds compassionately to the needs of the inner-city’s less fortunate through mobilizing and working with the church and community.

The article was thought provoking:

To love with expectation means we strive to hold our guests accountable as they move towards permanent life change. Christ modeled perfect love for us, and his example guides our love for those we serve.

Because we love and care deeply for our guests, we have expectations of them. We want to see them grow, reach their goals and rise above their circumstances. Loving with expectation shows our guests that we believe in their potential, and their God-given gifts and abilities.


There is a time for everything. Loving with expectations does not mean I make my love conditional upon performance. I cannot control another's actions. My call is to love and to see how we can encourage one another to love and good deeds. I think Mustard Seed has grasped this idea. To learn more, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment