Saturday, April 30, 2011

A La Carte for April 30

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. ~Charles Caleb Colton
Tim Challies serves up interesting a la carte blogs at least once a week. I like it, so I'm imitating it.

Politics. The Canadian political scene is getting uglier by the minute. A close friend has very close ties to one of the campaigns and has become quite disillusioned by the process. In thinking this through and enduring a multitude of political posts on Twitter and Facebook, today I post my opinion. I've spent enough time living in the USA and Canada to know that an elected gov't is only as good as its people. I don't promote political candidates because I'm too busy trying to change the world that is within my power instead of expecting politicians to do it for me.

Whoops. The Globe and Mail endorses Harper, including a small photo of the Prime Minister, but on the same webpage allows an even larger paid advertisement from Layton right next to the endorsement headline. The original article is here (advertisements change with each refresh).

Fairy Tales. I've written before about expecting the Princess Treatment. The second royal wedding in thirty years was just too much. Yes, she was beautiful. His red serge regal. His father aged. Their young attendants tired and grumpy. Their adoring public appropriately exuberant. I endured days of it before and during the event because it intrigues my husband. I don't get it. I think Seth Godin does. He is the one sane voice I've heard over the deafening din of extravagance.

Faithfulness. David Wilkerson, author of "The Cross and the Switchblade" and founder of World Challenge, was killed unexpectedly in a collision April 27. A regular blogger, on the day of his unexpected death wrote this profound and timely post.

No comments:

Post a Comment