Tuesday, April 28, 2015

That's What Love Is



I woke at 5 a.m.

This is becoming more frequent as I go to bed at a regular time and am sleeping fairly well. It is not a bad thing. I am alert. I get up to write “morning pages” – a mind dump to clear the cobwebs of random thoughts – nothing to be read again, just a purging of whatever comes to mind. I write a minimum of three pages, longhand, not on the computer.

Today it was six.

I’m a wrestler. A rationalist. A “please-help-me-understand” debater. Yet understanding is overrated. Here, on earth, we can only ever know “in part”. We “see through a glass darkly”.

I start thinking someone else is wrong and I list all the reasons on pages one, two, three and then begin to see my arguments break down one at a time on page four and my personal self-protective barriers fall and crash to the ground around my blushing feet on page five and then I end on page six realizing the only thing that matters is love and boy, do I ever need a refresher course on what that looks like so I go to the seminal list in 1 Corinthians 13:

Love is not:
proud
self seeking
easily angered

Love doesn’t:
boast
envy
dishonor others
keep a record of wrongs
delight in evil
fail

Love is:
patient
kind

Love does:
rejoice with the truth
protects
trusts
hopes
perseveres

Yeah. That.

Now I take that list and replace the word “love” with my name. Ooomphhhh.
You try it with your name. 
Pretty humbling.
No time to point fingers when I start listing all the ways I get to love...





Photo credit: Depositphotos.com 8723007, standard license

No comments:

Post a Comment