Friday, October 28, 2005

Passion and Perception

Do what you love. Love what you do.

I'm so incredibly grateful that the hard work, dedication and cooperativeness of my husband has made it possible for me to become a Sidetracked Home Executive (SHE). I get sidetracked by all that needs to be done at home and church and school and neighborhood. I don't know how I didn't completely lose my mind working outside the home.

"The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands" by Dr. Laura is one of three books I am reading concurrently. I read in snippets while waiting in the dentist's office, the school parking lot, etc. or when I take a break for myself in between my other duties. She contends that man's needs are very basic: feed 'em, love 'em, cheer for them, ask politely once for what you really need, and keep your mouth shut about the rest. Okay, so that's really a very terse summary but I'm not far off. It has given me such a clear sense of how important it is to let hubby know how much I appreciate what he does.

I also talked with my son about the bad habit I had developed in being critical of his dad in A's presence and I apologized to him for that. I committed out loud to A that I would determine to change that habit and replace it with encouragement and could he find ways to encourage dad himself?

I am completely convinced that the absence of encouragement and the all-too-present nitpicking may well be the single most powerful depressant I have thoughtlessly leveled against my husband.

May God help me to have a complete paradigm shift in this matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment