Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Memory Lane

I spent the afternoon labeling the contents of the dozen home videos from our handycam that were full of memories but unidentified. The problem with clutter and chaos is that you sometimes lose what is most precious. I fast forwarded through the last 3-4 years, reliving great moments and being bored to tears by the things we thought were important at the time but have no lasting worth.

The best part was discovering my son in a Christmas skit from last year that I don't even remember seeing. The worst part was listening to me cheer for his team at a hockey game back when he was still a player. How embarrassing. I cannot tell you how glad I am that I have learned to just keep my mouth shut except to scream wildly when he makes a great save or when they score on the other team. Don't you wish life was sometimes like a computer and when things get screwed up, you could just reboot? No, I don't either. I wouldn't learn as much that way. I'd probably just make the same mistakes until someone decided to trade me in for a newer model.

It was a good afternoon. Visiting memory lane is like drinking hot cocoa with marshmallows while wrapped in a warm blanket in front of a crackling fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment