Friday, September 29, 2006

Health Food Junkie

I put on about 8 pounds in the last 4 months after reaching my goal weight via the Dr. Bernstein Diet program. I decided to go back to do the "Tune Up Diet." Oddly enough, even though my 80 pound weight loss this winter seemed quite straigtforward, the tune up diet threw me for a loop. The program itself is fine, I was just struggling with issues related to a lifetime of habit, personal motivation and the psychology of denial.

Obsession with dietary perfection can sometimes do more harm than good, says a physician in alternative medicine (and one who has been there). Originally published in the October 1997 issue of Yoga Journal, and reprinted here by permission of the author, this piece coins the term "orthorexia nervosa" in describing a novel eating disorder of recent years: extreme fixation on eating proper food that becomes pathological.

Reading the article and speaking with my very level-headed family doctor helped me understand once again the primary importance of balance. There is no perfect diet plan. Some days I will eat well, some days I will make choices that diverge from ideal. Keep it in perspective and strive for balance.

Read the article and see if you recognize yourself in there anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment