Friday, February 23, 2007

High School

My son signed up for his high school classes today. It was intriguing to hear the rationale for his choices. For a young person who is not excited by learning, he has chosen very little play.

AP English
I love writing and reading.

Pure Math
They said AP Math was for students who really LOVE Math. I can do it, I just don't love it.

Social 10-1
I like socializing, not Social Studies.

Science 10
I won't be doing anything in the field of Science.

Phys Ed
No brainer, it's mandatory and I love it.


All require >80%. His optional courses in order of his priority were:

Legal Studies
I might want to become a police officer or lawyer.

Sports Medicine
The 20 hours as a junior trainer could be partly done with my hockey team.

Drama
I'm good at it.

Communication Technology
I want to keep my options open, to check out what I might like. It's a good fall back course if I don't get one of my top three.

When I commented that 3 of the 4 were not the kind of fun courses I thought he might enjoy, he replied "Well, I need to be thinking about what kind of career I might go into and get as much training in that as I can."

What is near miraculous is that I've almost learned enough to just give input when he asks and keep my biases out of it. I enjoyed music so much, I'm just a little twinged with angst that he doesn't find that appealing. He knows his own heart and head though. I'm learning to trust that he can handle the consequences of his choices.

4 comments:

  1. He's smart to be thinking of the future and keeping his options open. You should be so proud. Well done for bringing up such an intelligent well rounded young man

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I have a daughter in her 2nd year of high school and a son on his way in two years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just signed up my last one for high school. Your son's answers make my daughter's look kind of puny. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting to see how each young person processes things in different ways - but you should also know it took me all evening to gather those comments. He'd drop one every so often and add one when talking to his dad that he hadn't included with me. He's an only child so has more quiet time and no one else to talk to, so we benefit. Let each one grow at their own pace, they'll surprise you.

    ReplyDelete