Friday, June 22, 2007

Ha Ling Peak



I hiked on Tuesday. First hike of the season. What a joy! Ha Ling Peak (formerly known as Chinaman's Peak) is above Canmore, Alberta. In the photo of the three peaks, it is the prominent one on the right. See more info about Ha Ling peak here.

A class 1 scramble, the winding switchbacks through forest and scree take you over tree roots, rocks and past a waterfall and encourage you with spectacular views both east and west down the Bow Valley corridor. You climb to an altitude of 2,408 m (7,898 ft) with an elevation gain of 700 m (2,296 ft) over 2.7 km. It took us 2.5 hours to reach the summit. We take our time and stopped for a snack and took lots of pictures.

My quads will thank me later. Right now they're regretting the lack of winter discipline. It didn't slow me down for softball Thursday, though! Woohoo, I'm gettin' in shape for Europe! My quads won't thank me in the Swiss Alps either!

A full album of photos of my hike up Ha Ling peak (with comments) can be viewed on Facebook here. You have to join Facebook to view, but it's free and relatively painless and you can see all my other photos too! I'll be posting more of other hikes as time allows.

No comments:

Post a Comment