Monday, April 14, 2008

The Gathering

It is said that all of us have at least one brilliant thought every day, but we've trained ourselves to ignore them because we do not trust our own instincts and have surrendered them to the measure of others.  So we sometimes bypass opportunities to be creative.  Steve Bell says that he sometimes hears a song and thinks - "Wow, I must have been sleeping when that one passed by and missed my chance."

Ralph Waldo Emerson in "Self Reliance" affirms this: "In every work of genius we recognize our own rejected thoughts; they come back to us with a certain alienated majesty."   

I spent the weekend at the Gathering of Christian Poets in Edmonton.  I came away inspired, contented, drained, richer in friendship and wiser in poetic knowledge.

In fear that someone else will catch the genius I pass up, I have been writing furiously to put into print nearly a dozen poems in the last 72 hours.  However, like good wine, I think time and some revisits for editing will improve their quality.  

If you are a Christian and a writer, check out the Utmost Christian Writers' site and enjoy some of the great writing posted.  None of mine is there yet.  I haven't decided if I want to go public.

Even though I've been writing since I was 12, I'm quite new to the "proper techniques" of writing poems, so I did the unusual today and turned into the second hand bookstore I happpened across.  I walked out with a dozen poetry books. 

And that leads me to believe Billy Collins when he says:  "The trouble with poetry is that it encourages the writing of more poetry."

Pardon me, I think I feel a poem coming on...

No comments:

Post a Comment