Monday, March 30, 2009

A Question of Saving

Today I heard a friend make a statement about a time when Jesus was her Saviour. As if it were past tense and she didn't need that any more. 

Interesting that I also received this from Chuck Swindoll:
One Minute Message

And this from Elisabeth Elliot:
Saving Ourselves

Today I was tempted in a new way (the Tempter has a bag of many tricks) to "save" myself. This time it involved a matter of "face." The Lord reminded me that I should let it go.

We are always trying to save ourselves in one way or another. It is impossible, except on the terms Jesus gave the disciples: let yourself be lost (Mt 16:25 NEB). It was the only way Jesus could save the world, though the people challenged Him to save Himself. "Himself He cannot save"(Mk 15:31 AV) was what they said, uttering an eternal principle far deeper than they had any idea of. It is true for us as well. If we are going to obey the will of the Father, we cannot save ourselves. We must give ourselves up, be lost--then, and only then, will we "find" ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment