Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Be Careful What You Pray For

We're in what is called an alignment campaign, where what our pastors teach in the weekend services is augmented with further teaching and discussion in home groups. I love my home group. They are dear, compassionate, tender friends. They truly care about me, about each other.

Tonight our challenge was to individually share one thing we are asking God to do in our lives. Of course, no one is ever obliged to talk if they prefer not to. I was interested to note for half of our group they were thinking about where they might be able to serve others, make a difference in someone else's life.

Benevolence is good, sacrifice is a challenge. Sometimes serving is hard work but the rewards are worth it.

My request was a little different and it was intensely personal so I'll not share it in this public forum. As soon as I left the group, however, I was presented with an opportunity to do just what I had hoped, and I totally blew it. Great. Choking in the clutch.

Better get back to practicing the basics of human relationships. Now, where did I put my copy of "How to Win Friends and Influence People"?

No comments:

Post a Comment