Sunday, January 01, 2012

2011: What I Learned















Sunset, sunrise, midday and midnight each have their own beauty.

Unsolicited advice is always unwelcome.

Silence is golden.

We all long to have someone to always count on, but in the darkest nights of the soul, there are some burdens I must bear alone.

I can give myself completely to something or someone, but it will never be enough.

Love can't be earned.

Trust always has a blind side.

Perfection is fantasy.

Impatience is idolatry.

Lamenting is worship.

Everything is a gift. (Yes. Everything.)

Gratitude transforms me.

God is for me.

Mercy triumphs over judgment.

2 comments:

  1. Profound statements Joyce that give me much to consider. So much truth, your faith and shared wisdom inspires me and humbles me. There is one statement, however, that prompts me to ask for further clarification as I don't quite understand it. Can you explain further the statement "Impatience is idolatry"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karina, thanks for your comment. That's a good question. At the time I wrote this, I had just read something on it that basically describes idolatry as anything that becomes bigger than God in our mind. Impatience tends to suggest that we need self-effort to make things happen because God's timing just isn't fast enough for us. I like something Elisabeth Elliot wrote about that, so I would recommend it to you, as she can explain it better than I. Take a look at it here: http://liveaquietlife.blogspot.ca/2007/10/this-was-encouraging-today-quoting.html

      Blessings on you, my friend.

      Delete