Thursday, January 15, 2015

Oh, Be Careful Little Mind What You Judge





I had someone frown at me a while back as I accessed my iPhone during a time when she felt it was inappropriate to do so. She’s a lovely lady, very refined, always dressed to the nines and a dear friend, but a fair bit older than I am and quite traditional in her view of what constitutes decorum and “appropriate” behavior. She assumed I was checking my text messages during church, when I was actually looking up the scripture reference on my Bible app

Another person says I carry my phone around “like a security blanket. You're never without it, you access it frequently and it just seems to be an extension of your body." Guilty as charged. It is literally an aid to daily living, as essential as my eyeglasses or the multi-purpose tool he carries in his pocket, and the phone I never see out of his reach. 

It also helps me connect with friends and family members who live in all parts of the world. These aren’t my “online friends” vs. my “real life friends”. They are all real life friends and family. I connect with them in real time about real issues. We talk of loss and love and we share our funny and sad moments. This is an IRL (in real life) connection.

Oh, sure, there’s a lot of time wasting, useless stuff out there. But there’s a lot of value-added stuff too. Smart phones are now multi-use devices with hundreds of thousands of apps which do almost anything you want. I have 58 applications on mine but have downloaded, used and discarded at least a hundred more. I use at least 25 of these on a daily basis, and the rest on a weekly or monthly basis.

Here is a typical sample of the many faces of my iPhone:
  1. Phone
  2. Text Messages
  3. Address Book
  4. Email
  5. Alarm Clock
  6. Bible
  7. Library
  8. Internet
  9. News reporter
  10. Calendar & Appointment Book 
  11. Weather Report
  12. Notebook
  13. Reminders
  14. Map
  15. Camera
  16. Photo Album
  17. Calculator
  18. Voice Recorder
  19. Dictionary & Thesaurus
  20. Music Library
  21. Movie Library
  22. Banking Access
  23. Scrabble
  24. Social Media
  25. Video Call
  26. Restaurant Reviewer
  27. Flight Tracker
  28. Travel Agent
  29. Devotional Reader
  30. Social Convener
  31. Personal shopper
  32. Encyclopedia

So, next time you see someone on their smartphone, don’t assume they’re “just texting” or playing a game. Assume the best. It’s about relationships and knowledge, worship, utilities, memory aids, life skills and entertainment. It’s about using technology to help us connect to our world and to those we love. It's probably the way you're reading this blog post at this moment.

What's the primary reason you use your smart device? 

No comments:

Post a Comment