Friday, November 16, 2018

Remember Whose You Are


She calls out to me as I dash out of the house. It is a blessing, benediction, warning, prayer, and goodbye. It is intentional, and it goes far beyond the fact that I am her child, that I belong to this family and we have certain requirements for behavior. It holds a far deeper meaning that touches on my conduct, purpose, and identity. It takes root deep in my mind and heart.

My mother's words echo at almost every departure: "Remember Whose you are."

It is more than who I am. It is the deepest core of my identity.
I belong to God.
I am God's child.
I am beloved by God.
I was bought with a price.
(more here)

Because of his love, God sent Jesus, his only begotten son, to die for me, to give eternal life.
Therefore, I matter.
I have a purpose.
How I live matters.
What I think matters.

My life has been exchanged for the life of Christ. I am a standard bearer for the name of my Saviour. Through his strength, I can reflect the love and light of the One who is my Life.
How I treat others.
What I contribute to the world.
The attitudes I cultivate.
How I steward my talents and resources.

Every good thing I am and have is a gift from the Father of Lights who is a good, good father. One who gives good gifts to his children. I am his.

Remember.

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith (by trust) in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20






Photo: Mom and I, 1959, from personal collection

No comments:

Post a Comment