Tuesday, January 01, 2019

My One Word for 2019



Late in 2018, through several significant events, I noticed myself saying frequently, "I just find it really hard to trust people." As it became a pattern, I wondered, is it only other people I can't trust or does it go deeper? Is it based in a hesitation to trust myself? Or is it possible that I am unwilling to trust God? As I sat with that thought over the next few weeks, I realized the struggle was real and the Holy Spirit was prompting me to attend to this matter in a very intentional way.

What better way than to make "trust" my One Word for 2019?

I began preparing my heart by looking in, while at the same time, attending to the places where trust was mentioned, or where I felt a struggle to trust people or God. Here are some of what has surfaced.

Songs would come in the night, or in the middle of an anxious moment. First, it was "Tis so Sweet to Trust In Jesus."

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust him
How I've proved him o'er and o'er.
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus,
Oh, for grace to trust him more.

Here's a beautiful rendition by Casting Crowns with the full lyrics:




A second song was sung in our weekend worship service at my local fellowship:

What I already know is I will praise him
What I already know is that I must!
For I was made to love you, 
you are worthy of my trust,
What I already know is already enough.

Here is the video from People & Songs:



Then when I had experienced a rather significant disappointment, this little ditty of a camp song popped into my head:

Are we downhearted? No, no, no!
Are we downhearted? No, no, no!
Troubles may come and troubles may go,
We'll trust in Jesus, come weal or woe!
Are we downhearted? No, no, no!

Here's a children's version:



There were also scriptures that surfaced in my reading the very day I  began thinking about this matter:

“When I am afraid, I will put my trust and faith in You. In God, whose word I praise; In God I have put my trust; I shall not fear. What can mere man do to me? ...In God have I put my trust and confident reliance; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
‭‭Psalm ‭56:3-4,11‬ ‭AMP‬‬

This quote from Corrie Ten Boom was in my news feed today:


And finally, a quote came from Susie Larson, a Bible teacher, author, speaker and blogger, whose daily morning and evening blessings in Facebook have been an ongoing encouragement. She's recently published a new book titled Fully Alive, and this quote is from the book:

Imagine the sparkle in Jesus’ eyes as He puts His scarred hands on your face, and with full assurance and joy He says to you, “My dear one, I want you to rest while I work. It makes my heart sing when you trust Me. So rest those restless parts of you and see what I—in My love and wisdom—will do for you."

These are just the beginning of my meditation. I have already been given opportunity to trust God and certain people, and to trust God with certain people and circumstances in the past few weeks. I look forward to the grace to trust him more.



If you would like to know more about OneWord, see my post from January 3, 2018.


No comments:

Post a Comment