Friday, March 03, 2006

Disappointment

It seems like I must have very high expectations because I am constantly disappointed. Perhaps it is that hope springs eternal.

I understand that we are all imperfect beings and that the things we encounter in life can often throw off even the best laid plans. But when I have invested a great deal in a relationship (spouse, sibling, friend) and made sacrifices in order to spend time with that person, it is a significant disappointment when the other person does not reciprocate the same level of commitment to making connection time possible.

It can be as little as five minutes at the end of the day, a mid-afternoon coffee, or an overlapping of vacation days in the same locale. I try not to allow the disinterest to affect my self image.

And then there are the antics of a 13 year old son that disappoint me in the sense that he doesn't seem to be using his head. Poor decisions. Lack of follow through. He's so likeable, though - and he can play a mean guitar. Some of this is due to genetics, some due to parenting, some is just the age.

The Serenity Prayer would be appropriate now, I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment