Tuesday, August 04, 2009

The Love Dare

A couple of months back, I picked up The Love Dare inspired by the movie Fireproof. I haven’t seen the movie, but I had numerous positive recommendations about this book. It’s a 40 day journey “not to be taken lightly,” the authors warn. “Challenging, difficult, fulfilling, requires a resolute mind and steadfast determination.”

Sigh. That doesn’t sound fun. Sounds like I might respect myself more at the end of it, but I’ve lived with me for 51 years, I know who I am.

I’m a skeptic. In spite of what my profile says, I believe unconditional love is humanly impossible. My mom was the closest and best example of it, but even she and I fought like cats and dogs.

See, it’s way easier to show unconditional love to strangers or Facebook friends because they don’t expect anything. When it comes to my family, though, I have expectations. More than that, I have demands. I even have scripture passages to show as proof that these expectations are justified.

My husband could say the same thing about me. Ah yes. That’s the sticking point.

My husband is a good guy. Maybe even a great man. Our life is comfortable, but the unfortunate reality is, we’re human. Human nature is not God’s nature. Though we are created in His image, my natural inclination is selfishness. If you beg to differ, I dare you to live with me for 28 years. Oh bother, try 3 days! Even the strangers who became friends on the 21-day Best of Europe Tour 2007 would be able to tell you that selfishness rules.

If I accept this dare, I must take the view that instead of following my heart, I must choose to lead it. “The world says to follow your heart,” the authors write, “but if you are not leading it, then someone or something else is.”

Then they challenge us to lead our hearts to that which is best in the long run. I was never very good at marathons, but the longest journey begins with one step.

Dare to love.

“There is no try. Only do. Or do not.” ~Yoda
“Just do it.” ~Nike
“The greatest of these is love.” ~St. Paul

The only thing I risk is improving my marriage. I’m terrified of failure. I could use some teammates on this marathon. Want to join me in this 40 day adventure?

No comments:

Post a Comment