Friday, December 21, 2018



This doesn’t happen often, so I’d just like to go on record that I did all my Christmas baking and treat-making today. 

I started about 5:30 and finished at 10:30. Henry helped tremendously with cleanup. Now, I did have to pause mid-recipe to make a quick trip to grab a couple ingredients and replace my hand mixer (which I thought only overheated last time I baked, but no, I apparently burned out the motor). RIP. Thankfully, Superstore had an equivalent for less than $30.

Here’s the inventory:

Millionaire Shortbread Squares (using the recipe on Eagle Brand Dulce de Leche)
They turned out as expected but they aren’t gluten free so I’ll have to depend on the family to tell me how they taste. (Picture is from the eaglebrand.ca recipe)


Whipped Shortbread (no picture)
(Whip with the hand mixer for 10 minutes!) This was a fail. Tastes good but really fell apart. Last time I made it was 1981. I need a stand mixer and a better recipe. Send me yours!

Edible Holly
(Similar to Rice Krispie treats, but using cornflakes, add green food colouring and cinnamon hearts). This is definitely my annual go-to. So pretty and they taste divine. I’m a sucker for marshmallows but I can’t eat many of these because #gluten. (Come on, Kellogg’s. It’s corn flakes! Surely you can make them without wheat!) Here's a recipe, but I always chill mine, or they can be frozen. (Picture is my own batch from a previous year).





Chocolate Crunch Surprise

(Chocolate, Reese’s PB, Butterscotch, Skor pieces, and a mystery ingredient). This is like fudge on steroids. It's like Reese's PB Cups and Nestle Crunch had a baby. I’ve made this every year since 2002 when the School Council chairperson made it for the staff at the elementary school where I worked. She set a tin of it on the front counter and I had to (got to) smell that fabulous peanut butter and butterscotch deliciousness all day. I may have made several trips past the counter for no reason.

Comment or email if you want the recipe. The picture is this year's batch.




Baked Granola
(Patti Durston’s perfect recipe makes 13 cups) Ok, this isn’t Christmas related but it’s a gift. This is our new favourite breakfast since we stayed with them this summer on our road trip. It is 7 c. oats, and 4 c. of seeds and nuts. Then melt together 1/2 c. maple syrup (or honey) and 1/2 c. coconut oil, then pour over granola and stir to evenly coat. Bake in stone wear or a cookie sheet at 385 degrees for 15-25 minutes. I add raisins and dried cranberries after it cools. I love that there’s no added cane sugar and I know exactly what’s in it because I make it myself with organic, gluten-free ingredients.







I still have one treat I’d like to make but may not have time, those amazing Butterscotch Confetti Squares. What’s your favorite recipe? Do you have one that includes coconut or Rice Krispies? (Picture is from this recipe page).  I also want to do the Peanut Butter Blossom Cookie that I used as a cover photo for this post. Anyone have a gluten free recipe?

​Well, that's all folks. Wish I could invite you over for Christmas dinner, but my house can barely hold our family.

Have a Merry Christmas and don't eat too many treats! Your body will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment