Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Whaddayamean I don't measure up?

Elisabeth Elliot always has sage advice and thoughtful perspective:

Many women have told me that my husband's advice, which I once quoted in a book, has been an eye-opener to them. He said that a wife, if she is very generous, may allow that her husband lives up to perhaps eighty percent of her expectations. There is always the other twenty percent that she would like to change, and she may chip away at it for the whole of their married life without reducing it by very much. She may, on the other hand, simply decide to enjoy the eighty percent, and both of them will be happy. It's a down-to-earth illustration of a principle: Accept, positively and actively, what is given. Let thanksgiving be the habit of your life.

Such acceptance is not possible without a deep and abiding belief in the sovereign love of God. Either He is in charge, or He is not. Either He loves us, or He does not. If He is in charge and loves us, then whatever is given is subject to His control and is meant ultimately for our joy.

I used to say my husband was 98 percent perfect, but I was nearsighted and focused on the remaining 2 percent until it filled my vision. It is a bad habit. Tonight I am grateful for my husband for many reasons. To name a few:

  1. He has been gainfully employed since he was a teenager. The last 28+ years with the same employer.
  2. He faithfully walks the dog and makes sure the house is secure every night before he goes to bed.
  3. He regularly cleans up the dishes after supper.
  4. He remembers most of what I forget.
  5. He has a great sense of humour.
  6. He let me have the remote control one night last week.

How perfect is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment