Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Acceptance

Lethbridge Herald. Photo by David Rossiter.

Is it cold where you are? Or beautiful like my nephew has right now on the beach in Maui? I've got minus 30 coming my way, with wind chills it's minus I-don't-even-want-to-know-how-cold. I accept this. There's no changing it. NO use in complaining. This is life. Where I live.

Why is it so relatively easy to accept the reality of the weather - even extreme conditions - but to still actively resist accepting other realities. Like not accepting that others will disappoint you. Making the choice to NOT forgive because someone behaved differently toward me than I wanted or thought I deserved? Does all discontent and selfishness eventually lead you down that path?

The choice is Resistance. To not change. We dig in our heels. It has to be the way I say it should be or else it's someone else's fault.

What's your bad weather reality in the landscape of your human relationships? If you could simply accept that this is life, where you live, could that make it possible to find peace in the midst of that storm? Or would you rather live with discontent in your heart because it is easier than trying to face an unknown adventure with our ever so comprehensive awareness of how utterly disappointing humanity can be?

Thing is, we know we can't change the weather. Not without cloud seeding airplanes at least. But somehow we still feel deep down - at least I do, on occasion - that we can change or control another person. This is a recipe for frustration.

Let it go. In acceptance lies peace.

Accept that I am the way I am and by the grace of God I will not stay this way. Do it differently tomorrow. Accept that I cannot change my circumstances but I can change my attitude.

Okay. Let me start with this moment. I need more sleep. I always need more sleep. So I am going to bed on time. For once. With my regular pattern, this bedtime should provide 8 hours of sleep.

I can accept that.

No comments:

Post a Comment