Saturday, February 18, 2012

Gifts Found on Paper



Joy Dare, Feb. 18

146. Pictures on photographic paper. This evening, while listening to the hockey game on TV, I sorted through photographs from the first half of our married life. The paper upon which photographs are printed will not last forever, but it has survived well enough to provide great joy reliving the funny, poignant and tender memories of family gatherings, the birth of our child, fabulous vacations, once in a lifetime events and the love of friends and family.

147. Good access to medical care. I made my appointment for lab tests and a mammogram. The medical order was written on paper. The gift of medical care cannot be measured, just numbered.

148. Books and Stories. These are an incredible gift on paper. I can read them electronically, but just like the little girl in the illustration, I spent my entire childhood reading - almost all my free time when I wasn't outdoors. Through reading a book, I live in other times and places, exercise my mind's eye, imagine how life could be different, learn about the world.

"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us."
— Franz Kafka, 1904
What printed books cracked open the frozen sea in you? Which was your favourite?

No comments:

Post a Comment