Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Joy Dare, Day Whatever



No sarcasm really intended. Joy comes as I reflect on the good in my life, but it's a human battle against the "list" and the listlessness that seems to be part of my temperament. A lifelong habit, of first looking at what's wrong with the world, is not easily broken. I admire one friend who has faithfully blogged each day on the prompts from the February list. But I write about whatever, whenever. I will not be legalistic and beat myself up because I'm not writing every day or not following the suggestions.

Today I'm asked to write about three gifts in working. I add them to the gifts already numbered.

116. Autonomy: I can go, at midnight, to finish what I couldn't on Friday. The gift is the freedom of autonomy. I know what needs to be done and I do it. No one is telling me or policing me. I should hope not, at my age, with my level of experience. I self manage. I worked more than my paid 36 hours. I usually do.

117. Purpose: In the wrong job, I could not say I was self-motivated. Here I am, even though some of the work is mundane, most of it is satisfying and stimulating, and it is mine to do. It is a gift given and (mixed blessing) it never seems to run out.

118. Mastery: I had three separate, unrelated, unsolicited affirmations this week of those who really appreciate my contribution. One even described me as patient. It is a gift when someone holds up a mirror and I see something in myself that displays the glory and grace of God: patience is a fruit of the spirit. I haven't always had it, in fact there are times too often when I still lose it, but I try to hide from people then so no one gets hurt feelings. I am grateful for spirit control. A gift from Him I simply receive.

What gifts do you receive in working? Even if you aren't paid for it. Share your thoughts in the comments below or link to your own list.

No comments:

Post a Comment